Sunday, July 14, 2013

2 Cute Cafés in Frankfurt


I want to get back to touring German cities as a local. A good way to scout out the local vibe is to take a break at a coffee shop.  Recently, I’ve started doing my work at a few local coffee shops in Raleigh. I love the relaxed and welcoming atmosphere and don’t forget, it’s a great place to meet new friends.

To find local Hot Spots abroad, I highly recommend the blog Spotted by Locals. This blog lists many major cities in Europe so you can explore the wealth of Arts & Culture, Food, Theater, etc there. There is one blog per city that has a few local authors contributing to it, allowing you to get a well-rounded view of the city.

For this post, I have found two local coffee shops in Frankfurt that I thought seemed super cute. They have coffee, food, and culture all in one. Their actual websites are posted on the link I provide, but they are in German so good luck reading them.


Café Awake

The Frankfurt local, Ginger Kurt discusses the Café Awake in the Frankfurt's Coffee & Tea section of the blog. Ginger is an American who lives in Frankfurt and, like me, she is interested in the arts community. The café is a blend of Starbucks and local culture.  It is tucked away outside of the touristy center of Frankfurt. It is known as “a social coffee company” because people who go there share the environment to exchange ideas. They carry a wide range of fair trade food and drinks at a reasonable cost. My favorite feature of this joint is that a few nights a week, Awake turned into the cultural buzz of the city with live music, poetry readings and art presentations.


Strandcafé

Marilia Pefkianaki introduces Strandcafé in the same Frankfurt Spotted by Locals blog. Marilia has studied in Greece and Berlin, but moved to Frankfurt for her graduate studies. Just like me, she loves good food and new places. Strandcafé is a local Hot Spot that opens at 9 am for your daily caffeine, but stays open till midnight so you can return for a glass of wine after work. Their menu consists of soups, salads, and other great snacks. Apparently, their pancakes are delectable for a weekend brunch. The interior brick wall, hidden terrace and small library of books and board games gives the place its charm.


You can easily find a cozy cafés by just walking down the streets of Frankfurt, but to get the insight from a local give the place more charm. I hope to stop into these shops and many other cafés on my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment