Friday, July 19, 2013

Interview with Hinako from Dusseldorf

Since my trip to Germany is two weeks away, I’ve been in major planning mode. My main destinations are Berlin for the dance workshop, Stuttgart to visit my cousin, Heidelberg to visit my distant family, and Dusseldorf to visit my good friend. I am so grateful to technology for how easy it is to keep in contact through Facebook and Skype with family and friends across an ocean.

Hinako and me at a café in Rome, Italy (August 2012).
I am dedicating this post to my good friend Hinako in Dusseldorf. She and I grew up in New York. Although she was a few years older than me, we spent a lot of time together in school. We were close enough to call each other sisters. She moved to Germany six years ago to continue her career in dance. Unfortunately, time flew and we lost touch. 


Last summer while I was doing my study abroad in Rome, I posted a few Facebook status updates about my experience in Italy. Hinako commented and said she was also in Rome. I was beyond delighted and we spent an afternoon catching up on the last six years. We’ve been in contact since and I am lucky enough to be staying with her in Dusseldorf during my last week in Germany. We plan on staying in her home city, Dusseldorf and traveling around that week.


I figured I’d feature an interview with Hinako. I want to share with you her knowledge on Germany and her home city Dusseldorf. Enjoy.




Hinako's Life in Germany

Which cities have you visited in Germany?
The list is long. I've been to Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Essen, Cologne, Dortmund, Wuppertal, Hagen, Munstertal, Munster, Freiburg, Bad Krozingen, Eisenach, Dessau, Flensburg, Frankfurt, Frankfurt oder, Wiesbaden, Leipzig, Dresden, Bremen, Bremerhaven, Gelsenkirchen, Greifswald, Schwerin, Kiel, Ulm, Pforzheim, Stuttgart, Garmisch Partenkirchen, Coburg, Cottbus, Regensburg, Magdeburg, and Halberstadt.

What is your favorite city in Germany?

I like many cities, but my favorites are Berlin and Hamburg. In Berlin, there are so many artists and there is quite an international scene. Berlin is a bit more alternative and you can live there very cheaply. Hamburg has its style because it’s a bit more posh.

What is your favorite German food?
I'd have to say my favorite German food is Spargel. It is white asparagus that you eat with Hollander Sauce and with potatoes around spring time.

Have the Germans been welcoming? 
Germans do not care very much if you are a foreigner unless you do not speak the language. So, the longer I lived here, my German has improved. If you speak the language they treat you better, like you are no different than them. They have a respect for people who learn their language.

Is there something tourists should be careful/aware of when traveling to Germany?
Pickpockets are everywhere. Even though its not as bad in Germany as in Spain for example, you always have to be careful and beware of your things. I had an experience in Duesseldorf when my friend got pick-pocketed by a Gypsy and she lost her wallet with many credit cards, cash and most importantly, her green card.

If you could take a train trip to another city (in or out of Germany), where would you go?
If I would take the train to anywhere, I would go to London. From Dusseldorf you can take the THALYS train connection going to Brussels, Paris, and London. It takes about 4 hours to Paris, then about 2 hours more to London.




Hinako's Life in Dusseldorf

What is your favorite neighborhood?
I like the area of Bilk and Unterbilk. I used to live in that area and I had the time to explore some cafes and boutiques.  It's trendy and many young people live there. I have yet to discover some of Flingern. I heard that it's an artsy neighborhood and has nice galleries and great cafes.

What is the most trendy spot?
I have to say that would be Unterbilk and Mediahafen.

What is your favorite restaurant?
There are many nice restaurants in Dusseldorf. It is hard to say one that is my favorite. But I have to say my favorite is Vapiano. It is an Italian restaurant chain around Germany. You get a card when you enter the restaurant and you can choose to have a salad, a pasta or a pizza. After you order, they make the food in front of you! If you order a pizza, they will give you a vibrating square and you can wait in your seat till it is ready. The price is not expensive and I really like the concept.

What are the top things to do in Dusseldorf?
  1. Go up the Rheinturm and lean against the glass. (You get a feeling that you are flying!)
  2. Go to MediaHafen to see the modern architecture. 
  3. Take a trip to Cologne. It's only 30 minutes from Dusseldorf and you can visit the famous cathedral.
  4. Take a walk on the Rhein and drink the Duesseldorf’s special beer, Altbier.
  5. Take a walk around Altstadt, the old city.
How do you get around the city?
The best way to get around Dusseldorf is by the U-Bahn (metro) and the S-bahn. It goes through all the main points in the city.



While Hinako and I were having a Skype conversation, I was surprised to hear how close everything was. She even suggested we go to Paris for a day! In Europe, you can really get anywhere very efficiently and quickly. Although flights are very cheap within Europe, the train has so much more character. As I did last summer, I plan on updating a travel photography blog, Capturing Cecilia's Canon, daily so that friends and family can keep up with what I am up to. The time on the train going from place to place is a perfect time alone to catch up.

2 comments:

  1. DO YOU NEED A LOAN OF ANY KIND.........FRANKLOANFIRM016@GMAIL.COM
    PERSONAL INFORMATION

    Full Name............................
    Loan Amount Needed...................................
    Duration:.......................................
    Gender; ... ..................................
    Religion :.................................
    Province/ State :..................................
    City :.. .....................................
    Country................
    Age........................
    Contact Address;... ...........................
    Occupation :.........................................
    Monthly Income ...................
    Cell Phone Number :........................
    Purpose Of Loan :...............................
    Have you apply before {yes or no}..........................
    Best Regard

    (FRANKLOANFIRM016@GMAIL.COM)
    M/D
    Managing Director.

    ReplyDelete