Saturday, July 27, 2013

How to Travel like a German Local

I am going to be doing a lot of traveling around Germany next month and as my local German friend Hinako said, trains and buses are the way to get around! Although flights within Europe are super cheap, there is something calming about seeing the land zoom by on land transportation. A plane might be faster travel time, but by the time you add the transportation to and from the airport, the security check, the waiting, the delays, you have missed the sights by land. Hinako mentioned these three companies that I should use to get from city to city.


Big cities within Germany, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, United Kingdom

  1. Flex (in Comfort 1)
  2. Semi-Flex (in Comfort 1 or 2)
  3. No-Flex (in Comfort 2)
  • Board ticketless, with an ID.
  • Booking is no longer done at the station but online, by phone, or by travel agent.

Discounts
  • Luckily, I fall under the category of Young Person because I am under 26 years old, so I can get a discount!
  • Adult & Co discounts is used for groups of 3 to 5 adults.



All major and minor cities in Germany

  • Booking online insures the cheapest price. You will need a printed or electronic ticket with an ID verification.
  • Tickets are also sold through a travel agency.
  • Tickets can be bought on the bus by driver, but only the adult fee will apply. (No discounts)
  • Reduced price if you travel to-and-from a destination on the same day.
  • The earlier you book, the cheaper the ticket.




Hamburg, Osnabrück, Munster, Gelsenkirchen, Eating, Duisburg, Dusseldorf, Cologne, and Ruhr

  • X-book tickets can be bought online.
  • X-mobile tickets will send you an email confirmation so there is not need for a paper printout.
  • X-tickets by phone allows you to purchase a ticket without the Internet or a smartphone.
  • On-board ticket allows you to board a train spontaneously enough those the price might be higher than an X-ticket.


  • Students can save on train travel from July 15 - September 30 on only Mondays to Thursday and Saturdays.
  • Students must hop on the train, show ID, buy tickets on-board, and they are good to go.

Once I have decided on my exact travel days and times, I will research all three of these sites to see what the best deal is for me. I will use my precious time on the buses and train to keep up my photography blog, Capturing Cecilia's Canon, and reflect on the experience I had in the place I am leaving and looking forward to what is coming next.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again. Restaurant Frankfurt-Oder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful site.Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regards for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information. “Things have never been more like the way they are today in history.” by Dwight D Eisenhower. Cleaners Manchester

    ReplyDelete